Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Class Lecture

           Today in class we discussed a type of group that a majority of Americans are in. This group, “have a little, want more” is known to be genesis’s of creativity. We then identified the difference between power and influence. Power is the capacity to influence. This is like potential energy; you don’t have to use power to have power. Influence is about action, or power in motion in an attempt to alter behaviors. This is the kinetic energy; or the initial fall on a roller coaster. After understanding the difference we discussed French & Raven’s 5 sources of power. Referent power is power based off personality traits or a person’s interpersonal skill.  Expert power is capacity to influence others by possessing knowledge or skills that others value. Coercive power is the ability to apply punishment. Reward power is a person’s ability to control the allocation of rewards valued by others and to remove negative sanctions. Finally, legitimate power is the ability to influence others through formal authority so a job or title. 

1 comment:

  1. I did find it interesting and liked the example Dr. Goates used with the potential and kinetic energy. I never thought about it like that before. Also, I didn't really relate that first article but I was able to connect then when we talked about how we are that "have a little, want more" group.

    ReplyDelete